Dear API forum users,

Please note that our site is undergoing maintenance.
We apologize for any inconvenience, we should be back fully operational soon.

Please refrain from posting as new posts may not be saved during this period.

The Oxford dictionaries API team

Getting 403 error "Authentication failed" on Entries and Words endpoint (English only)

john_applomjohn_applom Member
edited June 11 in Report a bug

Hi - I'm signed up as a new user and have been unable to get the Entries and Words endpoints to work in English (en, en-gb, en-us) - result is 403 Authentication Failed. Curiously, these endpoints do work in languages other than English.

It fails in the online documentation examples as well as when called via Swift in an iPhone app I am working on.

The Lemma API is working correctly for me in English
The Words and Entries endpoints work in French and Spanish, hence why I think this is a bug.

I am using a DEVELOPER licence.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• TaisFukushimaTaisFukushima Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @john_applom
    We have recently made some changes to the features available in our Developer plan, which no longer offers access to English monolingual datasets, including sentence dictionary and thesaurus, and Spanish sentence dictionary.

Access to English datasets and our Spanish sentence dictionary is available through our Enterprise plan or Prototype plan (in Entries and Lemmas endpoints only).

To try our endpoints and English datasets on the Documentation page, you need to log out of your account. If you are logged in, the Documentation will try to make the calls based on your registered plan.

Let me know if you have further questions.

You can check the Enterprise plan here in our website page.

• john_applomjohn_applom Member

Thank you for the response. I have submitted a query fro Enterprise membership.

• radhatradhat Member

@TaisFukushima said:
    Hello @john_applom
    We have recently made some changes to the features available in our Developer plan, which no longer offers access to English monolingual datasets, including sentence dictionary and thesaurus, and Spanish sentence dictionary.

Access to English datasets and our Spanish sentence dictionary is available through our Enterprise plan or Prototype plan (in Entries and Lemmas endpoints only).

To try our endpoints and English datasets on the Documentation page, you need to log out of your account. If you are logged in, the Documentation will try to make the calls based on your registered plan.

Let me know if you have further questions.

You can check the Enterprise plan here in our website page.

So developers don't get access to the English thesaurus? This doesn't seem right to me.

• TaisFukushimaTaisFukushima Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @radhat

Those who signed up for the Developer plan ( please see plan details here) have access to over 30 languages’ data and API functionality. However, monolingual English datasets aren't included in this plan. Therefore, the English thesaurus is only available through the Enterprise Plan. You will have access to the English dataset in the Prototype Plan, which was created to give customers free access to some basic endpoints such as entries and lemmas.
    I am afraid that developers that signed for the Developer Plan don’t have access to the English thesaurus, but developers that signed for an _Enterprise Plan _can have access to it.

Please, let me know if you have any further questions