question regarding the T&C's

angelsotoangelsoto Member
edited May 8 in General

Hello everyone

I'm building a web application that connects to an API which uses the Oxford Dictionaries API, the idea is to create also a mobile app that along with the web app can connect to my API.

When reading the T&C's some questions came to my mind regaring the above:

These are two bullet points from the T&C's:

6.1.1. You will not systematically copy and/or download any Content except as permitted by this Licence Agreement.

Question: Despite having a developer plan, does the above mean that I won't be able to store any data on a database? I'm asking because one of the perks of my application would be the ability to store words to be studied afterward.

6.1.9. You will not create or develop your own application programming interface which includes the Oxford Dictionaries API.

Question: My initial idea is to build only a Web Application but in the future, I'd like to build a mobile app as well, therefore, it means I will need to build an API to send information to not only a Web App but also a mobile app. is there a way I could build and API which uses Oxford Dictionaries API? or nothing can be between my app and Oxford Dictionaries API?

Sorry if I didn't understand very well the terms and conditions but I'd really appreciate your answer

Thank you very much

Comments

• SimoneSimone Administrator admin

Hi @angelsoto
    Let me just confirm a point about what you raised in your post, and I'll get back to you asap -bear with me, please!

• TaisFukushimaTaisFukushima Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hey @angelsoto

Sorry for the late response.

As you could see in the T&C copy and/or download any content is not permitted. After 6.1.1 usage requirements and restrictions, you can also see the 6.1.2 which is:

You will not cache, store, or save Content. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may employ user-level session caching of the formatted display of Content solely for the purpose of displaying Content in your application. If you wish to cache, store or save Content locally, you must contact us prior to using the Oxford Dictionaries API and/or Content to discuss a separate OUP Dictionaries Enterprise license agreement.

Therefore, based on your product case and current plan you are registered you are not allowed to store any data on a database. If you are interested in doing so, you will need to register for an Enterprise plan. In this link you will see that caching and offline usage are only offered for Enterprise accounts.

If you would like to see what plans we have and what they offer please see this forum post.

It is not allowed to create an API with our Oxford Dictionaries API. This is a feedback we forwarded to the product team for future considerations.

Thanks for flagging up!