Grammatical Features as a word-list inclusion (not exclusion)

Hello, I am trying to use the API to get a full list of words, for use in a mobile app.

I have done a bunch of calls using various Lexical Categories. I later noticed that the extracted lists do not include stuff like plurals and past-tense words, which are Grammatical Features. So I am looking for a way to also get these types of words in the word-lists.

I am aware that I can use "grammaticalFeatures=xxx" as an exclusion parameter, but what about INCLUDING these words? Is this a planned feature for the API?

Thanks.

Answers

• SimoneSimone Administrator admin

Hi @lkneebone489, an interesting point you raised.
    Bear with me, I'll find someone who can help you!

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @lkneebone489, you seem to be asking for an inversion of the current Lemmatron endpoint, which I don't think we do but I can see how it might be useful. I will feed your suggestion back to the developers.

• Amos, thanks for the reply. I did look into using the Lemmatron endpoint, but found that it doesn't quite meet my needs. For example, I would want a word such as "run" to be converted to "runs", "ran", and "running", and the Lemmatron does not do all of this. Please keep me updated on any developments.

• Amos, I also wanted to add that it would be useful for me if I can use the Registers parameter in conjunction with the GrammaticalFeatures parameter. For example, get plurals/past-tense (etc) word variations of all words in the "informal" register. Cheers.

Understood. I can't promise any immediate action but I have made a note of it as an idea for our developers to take forward.

• Thanks Amos.

• simonesmithsimonesmith Member

That's a very good suggestion, I'm also interested in this feature, especially that not all examples use the lemma (root word)

• simonesmithsimonesmith Member

That's a very good suggestion, I'm also interested in this feature

• SimoneSimone Administrator admin

Thanks for expressing your interest in this, @simonesmith
    It's always good to know what sort of features the users are interested in - we collect these suggestions to help inform future developments.

• I also would like an inversion of the Lemmatron. There is a words feature that almost works but I find the results aren't what I expected. I put in 'angry' and get 'anger', 'angry', 'angrier', 'angriest', 'angry', 'angries', 'angry', 'angrying', 'angried', 'angried' and that's a good start, but I also want to get 'angers', 'angered', 'angrily', and pretty much any word that has to do with anger but isn't a synonym like 'rage', or 'irksome'. This feature is literally the only thing I need from this API.

Hi @AaronChampagne,

We don’t have this function yet but we do have the available data so I’m guessing it will happen at some point but there are other development priorities for the moment.

@lkneebone489, @simonesmith, @AaronChampagne, +anyone else with an interest!

Hi All,

In order to prioritise the development of any particular feature, we need to be able to review real-life use cases so that we can target development to meet an actual need (as opposed to what we think might be good).

This idea of a reverse Lemmatron feature has generated a lot if noise and is something we are taking notice of, but in order to move forward, we need more information about what data you want to see made available, and how you would use it; if you could please be as specific as possible and include the input, (ideal) output, and purpose e.g.:
    "I would like to be able to enter [X] and get [Y] output, so that I can [Z]"
    The more of these we can collect, the better we can build up the necessary picture of what we are trying to achieve. Please include as many use cases as you want to develop - the more we see the better the final product will be for everyone.

NB, anyone wanting to discuss ideas away from a public forum is welcome to email us at [email protected].

• Amos,

For me, I would prefer to not have to use a Lemmatron endpoint, but instead use a "Wordlist" endpoint that automatically includes all "grammatical feature" (plurals, etc) words and all forms of words.

The only filter I really need is one similar to this (from the existing Wordlist endpoint):
    exclude_senses=grammaticalFeatures=proper,abbreviation

(exclude words that are exclusively proper nouns, abbreviations or acronyms, while including words like "Hoover", which is a proper noun AND a verb)

Not really sure if this addresses your question, but you tagged me so I thought I would reply. The above functionality is all I personally need from the API.

Cheers.