Why does Search endpoint show search results of the other region?

shahoodshahood Member

Hi @AmosDuveen ,

These days, I'm trying to understand how region has been implemented in this API. So, I'll be throwing even more questions like this in future.

Now for example, if I search for 'arcade' using https://od-api.oxforddictionaries.com:443/api/v1/search/en?q=arcade&prefix=false&regions=gb, the API returns 8 results all from region "gb" but one which is as follows:

{
"matchType": "headword",
"region": "us",
"score": 1.2160443,
"word": "video arcade",
"id": "video_arcade",
"matchString": "arcade"
}

So what's the purpose of region filter in Search endpoint, if it still returns results from the unwanted region?

Tagged:

Answers

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi Shahood,

There was a thread about this issue here, where you will also find my response.

• shahoodshahood Member

Hi @AmosDuveen

I've gone through this thread already but couldn't find answer to my question there.

I know we have only 2 regions to choose from but I don't know how to choose them accurately and I need help with that.

To me, if we apply the region filter to Search endpoint, it should give only those search results that are relevant to the filtered region. This certainly is not the case here.

So pl make me understand how this filter is designed to work.

Thanks

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited February 6

Hi @shahood,

The issue you're having is the confusion between regions (plural; a filter) and region (singular; a label). That confusing labeling is our fault.

What you are seeing is an Americanism that is listed in the Oxford Dictionary of English (ODE, our best single volume dictionary covering current British and World English); had you used the .../regions=us/... filter, you would have been directed to results from the New Oxford American Dictionary (NOAD, a parallel work to ODE that is focused on US English), where you would have found some terms with a region label indicating a variety of British English.

This is very much as expected; given the overlap between GB and US varieties of English, it would be remiss of us to exclude such variant spellings from either dataset. Even within Oxford, for example, the editorial preference is for -ize spellings (for etymological reasons) which is more usual in the US whereas -ise spellings are more common in the UK.

I think the thing to remember is that the regions (plural) filter gives you a different version of English which will broadly correlate with one or other geographical spread but the region (singular) label will give you a more precise geographical location for any given variant or sense.

• shahoodshahood Member

@AmosDuveen Thanks for the detailed reply. Now it is starting to make some sense to me. Let me chew over it for some time before I take the discussion any further.
    Thanks again!