Is there a way to get a list of all valid Headwords?

shahoodshahood Member
Hi @AmosDuveen

Is there a way we can get a list of all valid Headwords that can then be used in our apps?

On on hand it would enable the devs to provide the users with search results as they type. Currently, it would cost one network call per character typed which obviously isn't possible to implement
On the other hand, it would save one extra call to Search/Lemmatron endpoint for finding out a valid Headword.

I don't see any endpoint available for that but still wanted to put it up.

Thanks
Tagged:

Answers

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @shahood,

We are close to putting together a full wordlist so keep an eye out for details.

• shahoodshahood Member
    @AmosDuveen if u r talking about the WordList endpoint, it might not prove to be a good solution bcoz one call costs 500 requests.
    Also this feature would be helpful only if devs are allowed to permanently save the list and provide to users.
  • AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @Shahood,

No, I wasn't talking about that; I was talking about a new product: a full downloadable unfiltered list of headwords and inflections extracted from our English data, which we plan to charge for.

• shahoodshahood Member
    Ok any ETA for that?
  • shahoodshahood Member

@AmosDuveen In the meantime, are we allowed to download all the headwords using Search endpoint and use these in our apps for the purposes mentioned above?
    Definitions will still have to be fetched by the user against any headword.