Hi there and welcome!

SimoneSimone Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Welcome to the Oxford Dictionaries API community!

I'm your community manager, so I'm here to help you get timely and useful replies to your queries, and generally support you in your use of the Oxford Dictionaries API.
(so if your question doesn't get answered immediately, bear with me, I'm working on it!)

But I'm also really interested in knowing how you are using the API.
So what are you creating?

Tagged:

Comments

• gatebuzzgatebuzz Member

Simone, thanks for the invite to the API community.

I do freelance consulting work. A recent freelance project asked me to incorporate the Oxford Dictionaries API into an Android native app. I am a big fan of Swagger for API documentation, so it was a pleasure to see your "live" docs here, they were a great help.

• SimoneSimone Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

@gatebuzz Hi, welcome!
    Looks like you're working on something interesting.
    Keep us posted!
    I've seen your other message, I'll get back to you as soon as I find out what you asked.
    And let me know if you need any help at all!

• Hello everyone, and thank you for the invitation, @Simone.

I like to work with XQuery and XML, and have created a library module to make requests to the API and return XML with XQuery. It's in a GitHub repository along with some tutorials that can be found here: od-api-xquery.

I'm interested in using lexical data to model the organisation of a multilingual mental lexicon based on a network approach and lexical-access studies. I've been using WordNet and WebCelex, and so far I've been enjoying exploring the data in this API.

PS—There was a glitch when I signed up and I've become stuck with somewhat of a random username that I can't seem to change.

Hey @asteffanick481, welcome!
    Your project sounds interesting - which languages exactly are you particularly interested in?
    I'm glad to hear you are enjoying using the API, and thanks for the links to your library module.

Oh, let me know which username you wanted, and I will see if I can change it for you from my end.

• Hello @Simone,

If you could, I'd prefer to be AdamSteffanick I think there was an issue using Google's OAuth rather than signing up manually (the 'after' link doesn't seem to work using that and I don't get redirected to the forums).

As a linguist, most of my work focuses on English and Japanese. I also have an interest in indigenous languages in British Columbia, Romance languages, and Germanic languages.

So far I've been playing with the English and Spanish data in the API. If there's a roadmap for releasing other language data, I'd love to see it.

edited February 2017

Hi @AdamSteffanick - I've changed your username, but you might need to log out and log in again to see the change. I hope it works! :)

Interesting set of languages - Of these we've released Romanian so far. You've probably already seen the Supported Languages in our Documentation section (it's the best place to check for new releases).

I'm not quite sure if we have a road map for external use, but let me double-check with my colleagues.

• iturbideiturbide Member

Hello everybody, and thanks @Simone for the invite.

I have never been to good with words so I decided to create an app that would help me with word definitions and synonyms with the most user friendly interface I could manage.

I really enjoyed implementing the Oxford Dictionaries API, one of those few APIs easy to understand and to manage. My project is named Hyperborea and supports English and Spanish, it is available for iOS and free to download from the App Store: Hyperborea.

It is coded on Swift and is Open Source, here is the link to the Github repo, hopefully it can help someone else with their own project and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

I have a few new features in mind for the near future:

• Translate between English and Spanish
    • Synonyms and Antonyms
    • Augmented reality that could help you find the definition of any text pointing with the camera (not so near future)

Hi @iturbide, welcome - nice to see you around here.

I'm happy that you find the API easy to use :) - I hope you find it equally useful for implementing the new features you have planned (at least some of them!).
    Have you got plans to support any other languages with your app?

Have you considered entering your app in our competition?
    If that interests you, all the information is here: Oxford Dictionaries API competition

Also, keep an eye on our next newsletter, I think you'll be pleased ;)

Hi @Simone.

Absolutely, I wouldn't miss entering the competition, seems quite interesting and the prices are great.

I would love to support French in the app.
    Do you know if there are any plans for supporting French on the API?

I'm looking forward for the next newsletter :wink:

Hi @iturbide , excellent, good luck with the competition! :)

I'm not quite sure French is in the immediate pipeline of languages to be offered by the API, but let me double-check and get back to you.

Hi again @iturbide,
    Sorry I could not get back to you sooner.
    So I double-checked for you, and French is not yet in our immediate pipeline of languages to include, so I can't really say if or when it will be included.

From the API portal, there are two places you can keep an eye on, so you are always up to date on the latest languages included and other developments:

Supported languages
    Updates and release notes

I hope this is helpful!

Thanks a lot @Simone.
    Hope we can have French at some point, but meanwhile I have plenty with English and Spanish. I'll keep an eye on the Updates and Release notes.

No worries, @iturbide!
    I'll keep you posted if I hear anything about French (but to be honest the updates page is likely to get the news before me!) :)