Will there always be one definition per sense/subsense?

I'm trying to make a small app that will look up words and add their definitions to a Google doc in order to create a glossary for key terms in one of my classes. To start, I want to add all of the definitions. Then if some of the definitions aren't applicable to the class I'll remove them by hand.

So I'm wondering if the senses and subsenses in the response to the Entries endpoint can be assumed to have only one definition each. Currently I'm creating nested lists for my definitions, but since all of the senses and subsenses I've seen so far have only had one definition, I have lots of lists at the lowest levels that only have one entry.

Comments

• joughtredjoughtred Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @dbagley541. Stand by - I will see if a member of our technical team can help.

Kind regards,

Joanne

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @dbagley541,

Yes, you can make that assumption. Just remember that the senses array (square brackets) contains several objects (curly brackets) and each object will have one or zero definitions.

Where there are no definitions, you may also wish to explore further because they contain cross-references, often with descriptive text e.g. the entry for feet, which contains "crossReferenceMarkers": ["plural form of foot"],". These are not definitions, strictly speaking, but they can provide useful content which ought not to be overlooked.