Thesaurus links available but thesaurus not available

shahoodshahood Member ✭✭
Hi,

While testing my app, I came across a word 'Horrendous' that does have thesaurus links in entries endpoint but in thesaurus endpoint, there is no data available.

Can u pl check and see if it is a bug?

Comments

• joughtredjoughtred Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @shahood. Apologies for our slow response! Amos is out of the office at the moment but I will see if another member of our tech team can help you with this.

Best wishes,

Joanne

• shahoodshahood Member ✭✭

@joughtred still waiting....

• SimoneSimone Administrator admin
    edited August 2018

Hi @shahood
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you with anything concrete about this - this question is taking a little longer, and some team members are away.
    So bear with us a little more, please!

(tagging @joughtred)

• SimoneSimone Administrator admin

Hi again @shahood

Apologies for taking a bit long to get back to you on this - the team were looking into the matter.
    Thank you for flagging this up to our attention, it turned out to be indeed a bug.

We’ve now identified it as an error in the way that our data has been processed for this and some similar entries, and this will be corrected it in a future update.

I hope this is not too much of an inconvenience for now, and please let us know if you notice anything else that doesn’t seem right.
    Any feedback is always much appreciated!

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @shahood,

I'm still looking at this and trying to work out what is going on. I suspect the entry doesn't actually exist (look carefully and the online version and you'll see it's a copy of the thesaurus entry for the first sense of horrible) but that doesn't explain why there is a link to it from the dictionary data.

I'm still investigating and need to confirm what I wrote above so please bear with me on this one but I strongly suspect that the issue is an incorrect link from the dictionary rather than a missing entry in the thesaurus.

@AmosDuveen @Simone Good to know that u guys are working on it. Hopefully, there will be a fix/explanation soon!

@AmosDuveen another such word is 'efficacious'. There is a thesaurus link in Entries endpoint but no entry in Thesaurus endpoint....returns a 404. Thesaurus is actually available in case of this word as is evident from this link.

Hi @shahood,

That is exactly the same situation as I was talking about. Previously, the thesaurus entry would have contained only a cross-reference to a synonymous word but our editorial team have been working on expanding these types of entry to provide a fuller response without the need for further lookups.

I'm not sure why we are not displaying the cross-references but that is moot point because I can confirm that when the data next gets updated, you should be able to see full thesaurus entries for both of these words and other similar examples.

Meanwhile, both dictionary entries also include cross-references to the 'root' thesaurus entry (horrible and effective, respectively) which you can target and from which you will get a valid response.

@AmosDuveen Can u pl inform when the next data update is due after which this issue can be fixed?

Hi Shahood,

The timetable is more-or-less agreed but not yet absolutely nailed down so I cannot give you a specific date but we are talking about a few months.