Is there any way to determine when a word has been updated?

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to determine from the API if the entry for a given word has been updated.

For background, our system consists of multiple components which operate independently, there is a single component that is responsible for performing queries against the Oxford API and for expediency it caches the results returned into a persistent cache so that a query for the exact same word will be returned from the cache.

That works great except we noticed that sometimes entries get updated with new definitions and we have no way to know other than requesting the complete entry again.

My questions are:

1. Are the entries returned by the API updated on a schedule (eg with each release, every month etc) or does it just happen whenever the entry is updated in your primary database?

2. Is there anything in any of the API endpoints that gives an indication of when the entry was last updated?

3. Is this something that could be made available if it is not already? For example elsewhere you asked about interest in a 'does this word exist' endpoint, maybe the return from such could provide the last update date as well or maybe it could be part of the wordlist endpont.

I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas on this.

Thanks.

Answers

• joughtredjoughtred Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @GarryWood. Thank you very much for your query. Unfortunately, caching is not permitted on our free plans, but if caching is necessary for your project, please do email us on [email protected] to discuss your requirements. Our terms and conditions can be found here, if this helps.

Unfortunately, we don't currently mark entries with a 'last updated' date, though we can certainly pass on your idea about including this to our technical team. In the meantime, it might be worth keeping an eye on this page for any reference to content updates or sign up for the API newsletter.

I hope this helps!

• GarryWoodGarryWood Member

Hello @joughtred, I should probably have mentioned that the company I am doing this work for already has a paid subscription. I'm just the developer so I use a free account for my testing only.

I will email you as suggested because I am keen to see if there is any possible options to achieve this, paid or otherwise.

Thanks.

• SimoneSimone Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @GarryWood
    Just to let you know, @joughtred is away on holiday at the moment, this is why it may take her some time to reply.
    However she is indeed the best person to help you with this.