'Make a bed'....how to find the definition of this phrase?

shahoodshahood Member ✭✭

Hi,

If we search for 'make' using search endpoint, we get 'make a bed' among many others. However, its definition cant be found using either Lemmatron or Dictionary Entries endpoints....both return a 404. So, how do I get its definition?

Comments

• shahoodshahood Member ✭✭

@AmosDuveen @Simone pl reply!

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Hi @shahood,

"Make a bed" is labelled regions=us so you'll need to use the regions filter to find it, (as per a previous conversation, I think?).

Try this instead:
    https://od-api.oxforddictionaries.com:443/api/v1/entries/en/make_a_bed/regions=us

Hi @AmosDuveen

Oh, got it, thanks! I think it is easy to handle because search endpoint provides region with every search result.

The previous conversation was about 'video arcade' that is listed as a cross reference in the word 'arcade' without any mention of which region the cross reference relates to.
    My app is designed to pull all the cross references as clickable links but in this case, clicking 'video arcade' leads to nowhere; whereas clicking the second reference 'amusement arcade' does. That still stands as a problem.
    Oxford dictionary website, however, magically filters the cross references to show 'amusement arcade' only.

edited June 2018

Hi @shahood,

Yes, there are lots of different things going on with the data and it is useful for us to know that only the API output is affected by the missing labels issue (not so great for you as an API user but helpful to us because it gives us clues as to where the problem lies). As I said, I have passed the issue on to our team for further investigation. I would warn you, however, I don't think that it is going to be a quick fix.

No problem, it can wait.

Btw, where is Oxford dictionary website taking its data from? I try my app to show data as close to the website as possible but I come across anomalies everyday. I wanna start a thread here that reports such anomalies only....don't know if that would be a good idea or not.
    edited June 2018

Hi @shahood,

It is the same source data but it has taken a different conversion pathway to get to where it is. That is probably the reason for the discrepancy, but it isn't by mistake, these changes are deliberate.

There have been various tweaks to tune the API output to the needs of app developers; for example, there are no longer any subentries as they have all been promoted to full entries to make them more discoverable in searches and reduce the amount of data displayed for many entries.