Dear API forum users,

Please note that our site is undergoing maintenance.
We apologize for any inconvenience, we should be back fully operational soon.

Please refrain from posting as new posts may not be saved during this period.

The Oxford dictionaries API team

Definition of "video arcade" is not available

Hi,

I looked up 'arcade' from Dictionary entries endpoint and got the results where one of the senses contained 02 crossReferences: 'video arcade' and 'amusement arcade'. While I can get the definition of 'amusement arcade' from Dictionary entries endpoint, I can't get any of 'video arcade'...it ends up in a 404.
Oh and somehow the definition of 'video arcade' is also available on the website.

Please check this issue and respond!

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• shahoodshahood Member ✭✭

@AmosDuveen @Simone guys, pl look into it.
    Thanks!

• SimoneSimone Administrator admin

Hi @shahood
    Sorry for the late reply, this was a long weekend in the UK, Mon was a bank holiday (and the forum is not monitored on weekends).

@AmosDuveen, I've tried the same search and got the same error message, which is a bit puzzling as the word is definitely an existing dictionary entry.
    Now I'm not quite sure why this is happening - I'll have to leave it for you to comment, as you know more than me!

So @shahood, bear with us, please! :)

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited May 2018

Hi @shahood,

Video arcade is available in the US English dictionary, and can therefore be retrieved using the US regions filter: e.g.
    https://od-api.oxforddictionaries.com:443/api/v1/entries/en/video_arcade/regions=us

In essence, by not specifying a regions filter, you are in effect using the default of regions=uk. I wrote a response here describing why the filters act in this way. Admittedly, there does seem to be an issue with the labelling which I will pass on for our team to investigate.

• shahoodshahood Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for the response!