Can different Lexical Entries of the same word have different "pronunciations"?

shahoodshahood Member ✭✭

Hi,

I've noticed that if a word has more than one lexical entries, each such entry contains a pronunciations array.
I need to know if there is a chance that such arrays for the same word can contain different values. For example, if a word has three lexical entries: 1) verb 2) noun 3) adjective, is it possible for it to have different pronunciation in each case? If no, then what's the point of repeating such info with each lexical entry and shouldn't this array be moved up a level?

Comments

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin

Yes, sometimes the same wordform can have different pronunciations, for example tear. The synonym for rip is pronounced /tɛː/ whereas the salty liquid coming from an eye is pronounced /tɪə/.

• shahoodshahood Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    If possible, can u pl crunch the data and lemme know the percentage of such cases?

If it is a rare occurrence, I would rather make the pronunciation available at header level instead of child lexical entries.

It is not a particularly common phenomenon, but it does happen.

Alrighty, it goes to the header level then. Thanks.

Well, there's another issue involving pronunciations.
    The documentation says that pronunciations can be at the level of HeadwordEntry, LexicalEntry, Entry and Sense. So, should we expect these to appear at one of these levels at a time or can these be at different levels at the same time? I'm guessing these are designed to appear at the most appropriate parent level but I still need your word on that.

Hi @shahood,

It's complicated...

Generally speaking, phonetic transcriptions in the phoneticSpelling arrays are arranged in such a way as to not overlap so there should not be any question with regard to the scope of each pronunciation. However, deeper in the structure, you will also find phonetic markers which appear in notes arrays for various reasons, (e.g. the subsense at ara) and these do often overlap with the scope of the prevailing phoneticSpelling array but are of lesser significance.