Reference synonyms to word sense ID

Hello,

Is there a way to cross reference the sense ID of a sense for a word entry from the dictionary to the ID of a synonym list for the same word? When I call the word endpoint and the synonym endpoint the sense IDs are not matching. In the WEB UI though synonyms are listed for each sense of a word so there should be a way to know which synonym list goes with which sense for a particular word.

Kiril Nikolov

Answers

• SimoneSimone Administrator admin

Hi Kiril @knikolov356
    Good question, let me forward it to one of my colleagues - bear with me, please!

• AmosDuveenAmosDuveen Member, Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited March 2018

Hi @knikolov356,

The short answer is: not yet.

The thesaurus and dictionary datasets started life as different publications and remain essentially separate. In their in-house digital form they do contain links to the corresponding articles as a result of work that was done some years ago. However, those fields do not yet have a home in the structure which feeds the OD API and so the data are not yet available when you make a call. This is something we are aware of and is on the long list of things we'd like to do if/when we get the time and resource to do them.

What might help would be if you could go into a bit more detail about what you would like to do with the data e.g.:

• what input you would take from the user
    • what data you would like to extract from the API
    • what you'd like to do with it
    • and what result you want to present back to the user

Knowing that bit more about how people want to use our data will help us to build a business case to prioritize this feature over others. If you don't want to discuss your ideas in a public forum, you are also welcome to email us at [email protected]